We'll be taking a look at mods that add npcs,some friendly citizens, bandits in cave and on the road, companions.
You'll find links and video reviews along the way to help you choose and I'll be sure to indicate the pros and cons of each mod.
Possibly the most well-known NPC addition for Morrowind, Morrowind comes alive has the most features:
- all kinds of npcs in towns with outfits matching their class
- Some animated npcs (drunks, sitting, reading)
- 30+ companions that follow, fight, wait, waterwalk, levitate
- Courtesans (of both sexes)
- Hostiles npcs on the roads and in dungeons
- Bandit raids in towns
- Can be configured to enable/disable features in game
- Tamriel Rebuilt and Vampire Embrace patches
- Many addons for clothes and armour
All these features come at a price:
- May hurt your fps.
- Some of the armour, holdables and faces may seem out of place, especially if your game only has vanilla npcss.
- Companions do not report on their status (health, diseased, drained attributes)
- Unless you use an additional patch, the npcs have no names and are called commoner, bard, thief...
Names for MCA 8.1
( you will need to update the masters for this or get a warning message.
(see video below for a quick how-to)
Verdict: Unless you are running Morrowind on an old PC and you want you game lore-friendly and super immersive, MCA is a great all in one mod. The addons for FCOT and COV are great as you character won't be the only one wearing these clothes anymore.
I would really recommend My Hold it mod with its MCA addon: all commoner npcs have a 50% chance to carry some of the baskets introduced in MCA as well as a bunch of holdables from hold it.
Starfire’ s nps addition.
Starfire’s NPC addition is often seen as the lighter and more immersive version of MCA. It simply places friendly (named) NPCs in towns, some on the roads as well (pilgrims and merchants). No interior has been modified.
That’s it. There are a few addons for Starfire's NPC addition notably FCOT and Hold it. There is also a patrol addon.
- most immersive
- great compatibility (even with Morrowind Rebirth)
- mages occasionally recall in town.
- Patrol addon (beta but working)
- FCOT addon
- Try Random Missions by Teclis
- no TR or VE patch
Verdict: My preferred NPC addition mod, if you still want companions and hostile npcs, read on!
The Hostiles will add, duh, hostile NPCs in dungeons and on the roads by using the leveled creature spawn points in the game (you know them in the construction set as the ninja monkeys). The Hostiles have new loot, most notably robes (they use vanilla models as opposed to better bodies models).
The Hostiles makes use of leveled lists, so the enemies you encounter come from a long list of possible npcs of all races and all classes, and their loot will almost always consist of a few pieces of armour, a couple of weapons, an enchanted item, potions, gems and septims.
While not a problem in itself, I found that at later levels, I was avoiding Hostiles because 1/ I had already cleared that spot a few times (enemies from level lists respawn), 2/ I had already looted a dozen Heart Wall cuirasses 3/ I had stopped making/buying potions because my enemies gave me more than I needed.
Verdict: A good option if you don’t want MCA but still need more enemies to fight. I really enjoyed The Hostiles at lower levels as the fights were challenging but the loot too generous in my opinion.
Cutthroat’s mods Partners adds 100+ potential companions to the game.
- basic companion features (follow, wait, choose weapon..)
- Will join you if at least same level and disposotion 70
- companions mark and recall their positions
- take a companion as an apprentice to make them level up
- companions get new spells/powers/abilities as they level up
- friendship / companionship / partnership dialogues (much like in Romance) to improve disposition and relationship.
- optional alignment system to make companions (in)compatible with you and more/less likely to leave you.
- CM companions expect profit and will demand their share of the loot
- Also has 6 creature companions
- easy to use bribe to increase disposition
- no same sex relationship without addon
- companions can be temperamental and attack you
Verdict: I love that this mod brings alignement and the fact that the companions are not overpowered. The occasional unexpected fight, while potentially deadly can be fun. Baron's Partners adds same sex relationship, make you companion not want to kill you if you are a vampire or werewolf but still needs a bit of script cleaning.
Both mods add hostile npcs of a specific nature: they are all dunmers that have fallen under the influence of Dagoth Ur.
Some have become Dreamers: they live in Sixth House bases where you normally find dreamers. These new dreamers however, will look different: some will have a loincloth, some torn clothing, others some modified bonemold armour to fit the Sixth House. Clothing is not the only way those dreamers stand out: some will be in a trance, other will be praying and a few will be coughing. These new animated dreamers all have better bodies and Soti dreamer faces. Finally, the new dreamers are levelled and should be more challenging that your average level one naked dreamers.
- more challenge and more variety exploring Sixth House bases
- Body replcer highly recommended for new clothes anf armour to fit AND so that animated npcs don't stand out.
The new npcs from Ashlander rebels will be found in isolated Ashlander camps. They will appear during the main quest and disappear once the main quest is over.
Once again, these hostile npcs will have new armour, typically a mixture of netch, leather and sixth house colours.
- New gear (for both mods) use a lot of vanilla textures and models so they fit quite seamlessly in the game.
Children of Morrowind
Antares'Bounty-hunters, Pick-pockets, Brigants
Wanderers of Solstheim
BETTER LOOKING NPCS series
Vvardenfell Visages volume I
Illy's fresh faces
Articus BN faces - replacer
THE facepack compilation
Wold of Faces
Beryl's head replacer
MacKom - Races Redone
DMRA body and Muscular male body redesigned
Vanilla style body replacer
Riptides Face, armour, clothing replacer
Raym's Absolutelt Aleatory Accoutrement
Hold it and Farmers and Miners
Helluva armour and weapons
SMARTER NPCS series
Less Clairvoyant gameplay
NPC enhanced + MWSE patch
fliggerty's fleeing fetchers
Universal companion share
Grumpy's NPC schedule
Living cities of Vvardenfell
Locked door mods (knock-knock, Nighttime door lock, abot's locked doors)
take my place
supreme follower system
manauser companion RPP