The Solus Project is a game I received for free and I decided to try for the first time to make a video game review.
I brainstormed long and hard to decide how I was going to go about it.
From the beginning, I knew I didn't want to make a "first impression"video because I feel watching a couple of trailer and looking at a few screenshots was pretty much the same.
In addition to that, I am not a video editor, so far, even for reviews and tutorials, I record the whole thing in a single go, switching scenes in OBS as I am speaking rather than doing a video montage. (Yes, that means I waste a lot of time recording the whole thing multiple times).
In the end I decided to use the following format:
- Start the game and play the first 20 minutes or so as I would any let's play and give my first impressions.
- Turn off the camera and play some more (5 to 10 hours) to be able to give objective and detailed feedback
- Look at the negative reviews on Steam and see to what extent they applied to my experience.
Surprise! I made the thumbnail myself, does it show?
From the official website
A single player exploration and survival experience, played in first person and developed in Unreal Engine 4. Set on a mysterious and seemingly uninhabited alien planet.
Does what it says on the tin.
Lt me state the obvious first: this game's strong suit is its atmosphere.
if you enjoy ....
- the feeling of being lost in an alien place to...
- explore, and eventually ....
- master your environment ... added bonus
- if you enjoy reading background stories.
If you are looking for a fast-paced game, some action, alien encounters, move along.
If you are looking for hard puzzles, move along, the difficulty is in finding the pieces, not putting them together.
If you want to never read a thing a be told / shown the story, move along.
Overall, this game rewards you for being curious, if that's your type of thing, go for it.
I have received the Solus Porject gamekey for free from the Freedom family ( https://www.freedom.tm/ )