For those who watch my let's plays and livestreams, you'll know that we're all about role-playing and not at all about min-maxing. This series is not about the ultimate [insert class] build, let's face it, sooner or later your character will be a god-killer whether you min-max or not. In addition we tend to always want to play the same way, with the same style, the same weapons, the same game play. So instead, I want to suggest ways to play a class and mods that can make the experience fresh and more unique. For more general role-playing mod recommendations, you can check this guide.
Skills, Race, and Birthsign
Since the Sorcerer is basically a mage with armour, race recommendations are very similar: The Altmer and the Breton.
I also like the female Argonian, she is as smart as the other two races, starts with more health and doesn't have to deal with Weakness to Magicka. She also enjoys skill buffs aligned with this class (Medium Armour, Mysticism and Illusion).
For birthsigns, the Mage, Apprentice and Atronach are a no-brainer. For role-playing purposes, I would not take the Apprentice: The Sorcerer is power-hungry and not at all humble.
Mods and Gameplay
To make the Sorcerer stand out from other magical classes, we will concentrate on Enchanting and Conjuration. For other mods related to magic, check out The Mage Guide as well as The Battlemage Guide.
Naturally, nothing prevents the Sorcerer from blasting their enemies with fireballs, but I feel the Mage acquires their power from long studies until they master spells, while the Sorcerer will gladly take shortcuts and/or sell their soul: scrolls, artifacts, blood magic, Daedra worship, etc.
Necromancy and Conjuration
- Royal Summons - Permanently Summon Daedra by PhilNye, the name says it all.
- Equimanthrone The Daedric Tower by CeThO gives you a lovely sinister place to stay.
- Illuminated Order by Charles DeVito is an excellent quest mod where you can, should you choose to, become a lich. Highly recommended.
- Blasphemous Revenants by Fliggerty if you also want dominion over the undead. Has some bugs but we still love it.
- Dopey's Necromancy is a solid alternative to Fliggerty's mod.
- Way of the Necromancer by Balathustrius is a simpler necromancy mod.
- The Wraith Collector by Midgetalien give you a new way to harness the power of the undead, specifically the Wraith.
- Chrysopoeia by OperatorJack lets you convert items into gold for a price, a blood price.
- Magicka Metamorphica by Fliggerty: lets you learn a spell to transform objects into soul gems.
- Enhanced Summonings by Fliggerty: multiple summons, summons that get better over time...
- Illegal Summonings by OperatorJack. You cannot walk around with a bunch of corpses and demons.
- Travel in style with Slof's Nightmare Summon.
- Peterbitt's Luminous Atronoach so your summons look cool.
- ArticusArt's Daedric Intervention replaces everything Daedric. It's also modular, grab the creatures at least.
- Want to summon new creatures? Atronach Expansion by Melchior Dahrk.
- What, more summons? Infernal Summoning v1.1 Lap aka Layne Phillips lets you summon new creatures that stay with you until they die.
- Don't tell me... more summons? try the brand new Magicka Expanded full of Lua goodness and including summons as well as teleportation spells.
The Evil Sorcerer
- To worship the Daedric Princes and gain power and artifacts, check out the mods listed in my Monk Guide.
- For vampire and Sixth House mods, check out The Nightblade Guide.
Artifacts and Enchantments
- Peterbitt's SoulGem Replacer.
- Aracelliy's Better Enchantments to balance item enchantments.
- Svengineer's MWSE Enchantment services: have a mage scribe multiple copies of a scroll you own, learn a spell from a scroll, recharge an item. Never leaves my modlist.
- Unique Jewellery and Accessories by Tealpanda not only retextures rings and amulets, but also adds a bunch more accessories for you to enchant.
- NullCascade's Visually Enchanted Soul Gems and Sounds of Souls. Now your soul gems shimmer with magic when filled and you can even hear the distant sound of the soul captured.
- Denina's Soul Gems for Sale. Super simple mod but it will make using Enchant less annoying. I recommend the lore-friendly version to keep Grand Soul Gems rare and therefore very valuable.
- Turija's Enchanting Staves simply increases enchant capacity of staves.
- Enchanting Scrolls by Spezzy. This is the simplest solution: this mods adds scrolls in shops. The enchant capacity of scrolls varies with their quality.
- Dormhouse's Quill of Feyfolken adds a quest to obtain the famed quill which in turn will let you make scrolls. A lore-friendly solution.
- Obviously, the super classic Inscription 2.0 by Lap & The DopeHatMan. With this mod, you need to craft your own paper and use precious gems to make ink. Your ability to scribe improves with every scroll you make. Expect lots of wasted material at first.
- Use this new mod to have pretty and clear icons for your scrolls: Beauty Scrolls by Archimag.
- Scrolls of the Nine Barriers is a quest mod by Melchior Dahrk where you look for all 9 scrolls. Lore-friendly and a must for a Sorcerer who wants the most powerful scrolls.
- Fliggerty's Artifacts a fun mod that adds scripted artifacts (duh). Very powerful stuff, fit for a Sorcerer.
- The Lost Artifacts of Morrowind by Rogue Shadow, Case, Sterling, Palinurus, and Oriphier; as well as Fliggerty's MWSE patch You can now find artifacts from other Elder Scrolls games, beefed up with some fancy scripts and effects.
- Magical Trinkets of Tamriel by Chris Woods. Also grab part two, part three, and part four patched by Dragon32. Too many features to list, but trust me, your sorcerer will love it.
Handicaps and Goals
- Don't use Destruction spells as your main damage dealer (summons, artifacts, items are ok).
- Seek out sources of power that do NOT come from arduous studies, no skill books for you. Use Dormhouse's SaveSkill books mod.
- Collect the most powerful artifacts, but install Mort & Greatness7 Morrowind Randomizer: 49 legendary items are moved to a different location with every new game you start.
- Go full artificer: all you magics come from artifacts, scrolls and enchanted items. Perfect with Merlord's Character Backgrounds. If the Artificer background is not your thing, Blood of the Dremora is also a great choice.
If you want more ideas for random handicaps and goals, check this blog entry with wheels to click, you can find my permadeath modlist (and all the others, actually) here and if you'd like to see many new characters created, join us on Twitch every Sunday for our permadeath runs ;)